Flatbreads are the ultimate customizable meal! They’re crispy, warm and easy to top with practically anything.
You may not have convenient pre-made flatbreads on hand, the good news is that you only need just two ingredients from your pantry and fridge to make your own! These easy flatbreads use self-rising flour and Greek yogurt in place of yeast which adds more protein, probiotics and calcium to the bread.
Here’s how to make your own:
- 3-4 Tbsp. self-rising flour
- Alternative: if you don’t have self-rising flour, add ¼ tsp. baking powder and a pinch of salt to 3-4 Tbsp. regular flour
- 3 Tbsp. Kroger Brand Plain Greek Yogurt
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle flour. Mix ingredients together, starting with a spatula then finish mixing with your hands.
- Begin kneading the dough by pushing it down with your palm then folding it back to ensure everything is mixed together. If the flour is sticky, add more flour; if it’s too dry, add more yogurt. Place aside in a bowl and allow at least 10-15 minutes for the dough to rise.
- Preheat skillet on stovetop. In the meantime, using your hands or rolling pin, flatten the dough out.
- Once skillet is hot, add oil; cook flatbread 3-4 minutes on each side, until crispy and golden brown.
Customize your flatbreads by topping them with a few simple ingredients – here are some ideas to spark your culinary creativity:
- BBQ Chicken Flatbread
- Kroger Brand Canned Chicken
- Pickled red onions
- Kroger Brand Cheddar Cheese
- Simple Truth™ BBQ Sauce
- Pesto + Sun-Dried Tomato Flatbread
- Simple Truth™ Basil Pesto
- Private Selection™ Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Simple Truth™ Arugula
- Feta Cheese
- Peach + Ricotta Cheese Breakfast Flatbread
- Simple Truth™ Canned Peaches in 100% Juice
- Simple Truth™ Ricotta Cheese
- Kroger Brand Honey
- Lightly salted pistachios, chopped
The customization doesn’t end there: your flatbreads can be made into any size and topped with the veggies (or fruits!) of your choice. Don’t fret over not having fresh varieties on hand; whether you choose fresh, canned or frozen, look for items with no added sugar or salt and remember that all fruits and vegetables are nutritionally equivalent and contribute to overall health, including immune health.
When it comes to garnishes, adding fresh herbs, a squeeze of lime/lemon or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar can really tie your flatbread together. To serve, grab a pizza cutter and share with the family!
Into meal prepping? Your flatbread dough (or your cooked flatbreads) can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, making for an easy breakfast, lunch or dinner option later.