Better For You Breakfast
By: Karen Ilhardt, Home Economist, Kroger Customer Connect
Do you eat breakfast daily? If you do — great! It’s been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it literally is “breaking” our overnight “fast.” Our bodies are ready for some energy and nourishment.
So, all right. We all know that. Now, what should you eat and how much time should you take to eat it? There are lots of options. The drive-through lane of a fast food establishment is a well-advertised — but not wise — choice. There’s also an abundance of choices available in the designated breakfast food aisles at the supermarket. It amazes me to reflect how much this section of the grocery store has expanded in the last ten years! These venues may offer convenience, but are often expensive and provide little value toward good nutrition.
Breakfast doesn’t have to be time consuming, complicated or boring. I’m one of those people that choose to eat “breakfast” foods any time of day. Think about having a fresh vegetable frittata for dinner. After all, it’s basically a crustless quiche!
Here are some “Better for You” choices to consider. Some are even “grab and go” items.
- Simple Truth Organic™ Yogurt with fresh fruit — To dress it up and add fiber, make it \ a parfait by alternating layers of Simple Truth™ Trail Mix or Flax Cereal. This is a low-fat, delicious way to get calcium, vitamins and fiber.
- Simple Truth™ Hot Oatmeal topped with blueberries — Exchange the brown sugar topping for fresh or frozen no-sugar-added Simple Truth™ Blueberries. It will provide vitamins and great flavor. Blueberries also have wonderful antioxidant qualities.
- Homemade omelet with vegetables — Customize your omelet with fresh vegetables like tomatoes, Simple Truth™ Baby Spinach, Simple Truth Organic™ Sliced Portabella Mushrooms, and add some Simple Truth™ Meatless Crumbles. Then use the Simple Truth Organic™ Free Range 100% Egg Whites to form the omelet. Sprinkle with low-fat shredded cheese, fold and enjoy. This combination is not only hearty, it’s also low in fat and cholesterol and ready in fewer than 5 minutes! Add a slice of whole-wheat toast for added fiber.
- Classic bowl of cereal gets updated — Available varieties of Simple Truth® cold cereals are increasing, and most are organically certified. What a great, simple choice for breakfast! For sweetness, add a handful of thawed Simple Truth™ Berries or a teaspoon of Simple Truth Organic™ Sugar (or Simple Truth™ Stevia Extract).
The list could go on…use your personal tastes and experiences to guide you. As you’re planning breakfast, exchange fresh (or thawed no-sugar-added) berries for sugar. This substitution will add vitamins and antioxidants while providing flavor and sweetness. Another good option is to use the Simple Truth™ Frozen Meatless Crumbles in place of browned ground meats. It will reduce fat and cholesterol, plus, is convenient and quick to heat. Using the Simple Truth™ Liquid Egg Whites is also a way to reduce cholesterol. Personally, I love their space-saving and convenience features.
Below is a recipe that’s been altered to have less fat and cholesterol, but still maintain the great flavors, minerals and proteins. Each serving will have about 300 calories, 11 g total fat (3 g saturated), 16 mg cholesterol, 700 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber and 21 g protein.
Vegetarian Breakfast Frittata
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups (½ package) Simple Truth™ Frozen Meatless Crumbles
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Free Range 100% Egg Whites
- 4 oz. reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Simple Truth™ Raw Baby Spinach
- 4 Simple Truth™ White Mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 4 oz. marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- 12 pieces sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Lightly spray a large, ovenproof skillet with cooking oil. Sauté the crumbles for a couple of minutes. Add the mushrooms, artichokes, tomatoes and raw spinach. Heat about 1 more minute. Stir, then remove from stovetop.
- Pour liquid egg whites into the pan. Stir to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Serve immediately and refrigerate leftovers.