Cultures For Health Real Kefir Water Kefir Grains Starter Culture
Kefir is cool. It’s even cooler when it’s made without dairy. By simply mixing yeasts and bacteria, you get Water Kefir Grains (WKG), a tasty and versatile “grain-like” ingredient that can be used to make delicious probiotic-rich drinks. Water Kefir Grains create a fizzy lacto-fermented beverage from sugar water, fruit juice or coconut water, making this a great alternative to milk kefir.
Unlike other cultured beverages that taste tart or tangy, water kefir stays sweet. After culturing, this probiotic drink can be bottled to create soda-worthy carbonation and effervescence.
How long will it take?
Total fermentation time: 5 – 7 days
Active, hands-on time: 5 – 10 minutes every 1 – 2 days
What will I need to get started?
- 1 packet dehydrated water kefir grains (in this box)
- Bottled spring water or any water free of chlorine and fluoride
- Stainless steel pot
- Glass jar or plastic container
- Cane sugar (avoid coconut sugar, maple sugar and the like)
- Coffee filter or tight-weave cloth
- Rubber band
- Mesh strainer
How does this work?
First, prepare sugar water:
- Heat ½ cup water and pour into a glass jar or plastic container
- Dissolve ¼ cup sugar in water
- Add 2-1/2 – 3-1/2 cups room-temperature water (Note: total volume should be 3-4 cups of sweetened water.)
- Check that the temperature of the water is 68 – 85 degrees F; adjust as needed