Angie’s Irish Stew
This hearty Irish stew will become a fast family favorite.
Serves: 6Prep: 10 minutesCook: 1 hour 50 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 pounds Private Selection™ Lamb Shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 Private Selection™ Turkish Bay Leaf
- 4 large Simple Truth Organic™ Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cups Simple Truth Organic™ Beef Stock
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4″ slices
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Slices of white bread, to serve
- Place a large, flameproof casserole pot over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and brown the lamb pieces in two batches. Remove and set aside on a plate. Reduce the heat to medium, add another tablespoon of oil and fry the onion, celery and carrot for 4–6 minutes or until the onions have softened.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Return the meat to the pot, along with the bay leaf and stock. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and push the slices of potato down into and across the top of the stew. Dot with a little butter and season with salt and pepper one more time. Cover and place in the oven to cook for about 1½ hours or until the meat is tender. Remove the lid and cook for 10 more minutes or until the potatoes have colored.
- Serve the stew straight away or leave it covered overnight in the fridge for the flavors to develop, then reheat. Serve in deep bowls with slices of white bread to soak up the liquid.