Avocado Mac & Cheese Bar
For mac that packs more nutrients and better-for-you monounsaturated fats, combine your cheese sauce with fresh and creamy avocado.
Created by: Registered Dietitian Ashley Martinez
Serves: 4Difficulty: Easy
- 1 box whole wheat elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ripe avocados from Mexico, halved and pitted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ tsp. lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped (optional)
- Combine milk, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper in microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high in 1-minute intervals until hot.
- Place 1½ avocados and 1 tablespoon lemon juice into a blender and pulse. Add cheese and hot milk, blending until smooth. Chop remaining ½ avocado and toss with the remaining ½ tablespoon lemon juice.
- Mix avocado sauce with pasta. Serve topped with chopped avocado and chives