This Mexican-style stew tastes delicious over rice, mashed potatoes or with flour tortillas. Add in a spicy pepper or bell pepper for an added flavor.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1"-2" pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- Rice, tortillas or mashed potatoes, to serve
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add oil. Add beef and onion. Cook until browned, then add tomatoes, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until coated.
- Sprinkle flour over the meat and mix well. Slowly add water and stir so no lumps remain.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 1-2 hours, until meat is tender.
- Serve with rice, tortillas or mashed potatoes. Refrigerate leftovers.