Serves: 4Prep: 1 hour 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 strawberries, tops removed
- 2 kiwis, trimmed, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into ½”-wide, 4”-long spears
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and sliced into ½”-wide, 4”-long spears
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 raspberries
- 8 slices square bread, such as Texas toast
- Place large glass bowl in freezer; let chill 10 minutes. In chilled bowl, use electric hand mixer on medium to whip cream 1 minute, until frothy. Add sugar and vanilla; whip 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- On cutting board, arrange bread. Spread each slice with ¼ cup whipped cream.
- To make kiwi-strawberry sandwiches, choose a diagonal direction to cut sandwich on, then set kiwi half, cut-side down, in center of bread, perpendicular to the diagonal. Arrange 4 strawberry halves, cut-side down, on diagonal at each corner of bread. Repeat to make second kiwi-strawberry sandwich.
- To make mango-pineapple sandwiches, choose a diagonal direction to cut sandwich on, then set 1 mango spear in center of bread, perpendicular to the diagonal. Place pineapple spear on either side of mango. Arrange raspberries at corners of bread in same direction you’re cutting. Fill any open spaces with more mango or pineapple. Repeat to make second mango-pineapple sandwich.
- Use about 2 tablespoons whipped cream per sandwich to fill gaps between fruit. Top each sandwich with remaining slice of bread, whipped cream-side down. Press gently to adhere.
- Carefully wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap, using a marker to notate direction of diagonal cut. Place sandwiches on plate; set another plate on top to gently press down. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- When ready to serve, unwrap sandwiches. Using serrated knife, cut on diagonal, wiping knife clean after each cut. Carefully cut off crusts. Serve immediately.