Homemade Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
This is a grown-up and healthier version of a favorite comfort food.
Serves: 5Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 oz. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Boil noodles in a large pot for 6 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 2 more minutes or until the noodles are al dente. Drain, and reserve 1⁄2 cup of cooking liquid. Return noodles and broccoli to the pot.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease medium baking dish using cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix cottage cheese, reserved cooking liquid, mustard, and hot sauce until smooth. Stir cottage cheese mixture into noodles and broccoli, and season with salt and pepper. Mix in Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
- Transfer to the greased dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.