Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga Tacos
Slightly smoky spiced shredded chicken is the perfect filling for these delicious tacos.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 5 hoursTotal: 5 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 3 chipotles in adobo plus 1 Tbsp. sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Corn tortillas
- Crema or sour cream, as desired
- Chopped cilantro, as desired
- Chopped white onion, as desired
- Lime wedges, as desired
- In a blender add tomatoes, broth, onion, chipotles, adobo sauce, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; blend until smooth. Pour into a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add chicken thighs to sauce, making sure to coat. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken, shred and return to sauce in slow cooker. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- To assemble tacos, fill tortillas with about ¼ cup of chicken tinga, and top with crema, cilantro, onion and lime as desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.