Vegan Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bisque
This simple soup is a perfect first course at a holiday meal or as a light lunch.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups puréed pumpkin
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, 1⁄2 tsp. minced
- 1 medium onion, 1⁄2 tsp. minced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 cup hulled unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. paprika
- Place all ingredients except pumpkin seeds and paprika into a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add pumpkin seeds and heat, stirring frequently, just until they become fragrant and lightly toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Immediately transfer seeds to a small bowl and toss with 1⁄4 teaspoon salt.
- Use an immersion blender or blend the bisque in batches in a standard blender until smooth. Add remaining salt and taste; add more if necessary.
- Serve hot, garnished with toasted pumpkin seeds and paprika.